Wednesday, September 19, 2012

MechaGM's D&D Tutorial Extravaganza!

Okay folks, as I mentioned on my stream the other night, I've been thinking about running a few D&D 4th edition adventures for the viewers. Primarily this is because several people have mentioned that they'd like to get into RPGs but have never played one before. Several other people have played RPGs before but have never played 4th edition D&D and want to try it. Lastly there are those who want to play D&D, or any other RPG for that matter, but can't find anyone to play with.

So, here is what I am going to do. Over the course of the next couple of months, I will run one-shot games on Saturday afternoons on my stream at: http://www.twitch.tv/mechagm I'll post exact dates and times when I have more concrete information on that.

Here is what you need to have in order to play:

1)A desire to play 4th edition Dungeons & Dragons with people you've not met before over the internet. If you've never played before, you must be willing to learn. If you have played before, you must be willing to be patient with those who have not played before.

2)Approximately 5 hours available on an upcoming Saturday afternoon. (eastern time)

3)Skype and a working microphone and, preferably, earphones for your computer. (basically, it helps if your microphone doesn't pick up the audio from the skype call)

4)A copy of the most recent version of MapTool. It's totally free, and can be downloaded from here: http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool

5)A working internet connection.

Here is what you do not need to have in order to play:

1)Any experience with roleplaying.

2)Any experience with 4th ed Dungeons & Dragons.


It will be helpful if you have a copy of one of the following books: “D&D 4th Ed Player's Handbook”, “Heroes of the Fallen Lands” or Heroes of the “Forgotten Kingdoms”. Any other D&D 4th edition books you have will be a plus. If you have a D&D insider subscription, that would also work.

However, if you do not have any of the books and want to play anyways (ie, you want to “try before you buy), this can be accommodated as well. I will provide several pre-generated characters for people who either do not have the books or would rather not take the time to build a character. (or if you just want to try out some character I put together) I will try to provide a variety of characters so that you will get a character you think you will enjoy playing.

If you are building your own character, we will be starting at level 1. You can use any class or race from the following books: “Player's Handbook 1”, “Player's Handbook 2”, “Heroes of the Fallen Lands” and “Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms”. Backgrounds and Themes will not be used. This is because not everyone will have access to the material they are found in. If you want to use a class or race that is not in one of the listed books, feel free to ask me. Odds are I will say “Yes” unless it is particularly wonky or unsuitable for the adventure I eventually write up. (note: some of the pre-generated characters may well be from a book not listed above) You will get 100 gold pieces to spend on mundane equipment.

So, how do you sign up for this? It's simple, really. Send me an email titled “Mecha's D&D Tutorial”, and in the body of the email let me know your experience level with D&D 4th ed and/or RPGs in general. Also, let me know what D&D 4th edition resources you have at your disposal. It would also be helpful if you could tell me what sort of character you would prefer to play. (Defender, Leader, Striker or Controller) Lastly, let me know if you have any particular Saturday afternoons (eastern time) that you cannot make it. If you have a preference for playing with players who are as, more or less experienced than you are, feel free to mention this as well.

Send such emails to my hotmail account. (which is listed at the top of the blog page)


I expect that the adventure itself will take about 4 hours, tops, once we get started, but I also expect that there will be a period of around an hour where I will be explaining things to the newer players. So, you will need to commit about 5 hours to this if you do sign up for it.

I will try my very best to get as many people into games as possible. I will try to make well-rounded parties by character roles, and will try and get appropriate mixes of experience in each game. If I get flooded with too much interest, I may have to go with a first-come-first serve policy, but I reserve the right to mix things up as I see fit.

Also, I will be streaming the sessions and will record them and upload them to blip and this blog. If you are uncomfortable with that, please let me know. (if enough people are interested, and are uncomfortable with being on the stream/recorded, I will try to make a group of such people and run the game off the stream)

Hopefully, you will all have fun, and who knows... maybe some of you will end up deciding to put your own D&D groups together and playing your own games! :)

I think that is all for now. I'll post more details as I think of them.

Take care, and happy gaming!

-Peter Bowman, aka MechaGM

No comments:

Post a Comment